Pages

Saturday 15 October 2011

Kozhukatta


Rice dumplings stuffed with a mixture made of coconut and jaggery, a traditional sweet.

After a long time made kozhukattas...


Its our family' all time favourite and I make it when I want to avoid a deep fried snack or when there is extra coconut in my shelf  else when I have leftover dough of iddiyappam.

But this time, I had planned to make it as I had a sudden craving for it.Kozhukattas are prepared at home very frequently and especially on saturday, previous day to palm sunday.And the day is called "kozhukatta shinyaicha" or kozhukatta saturday in cochin.

I feel really happy when I cook traditional food because I feel a kind of reunion being established with my roots and also it reminds me of sweet old childhood days.



 

Lets go to the recipie...

Ingredients

Rice flour- 2 cups
Hot water-1 3/4  cup
Cardomom-4 pods
Grated jaggery- 3/4 cup
Grated Coconut - 1
Oil- 1tbsp
Ghee- 1 tbsp


Directions

Add salt as per taste to hot water and add rice flour to it little by little till it absorbs all the water.
leave it aside for 15 minutes.
Now add oil and make a smooth dough as for iddiyappam.


For filling

Melt jaggery with 3-4 tbsps of water and filter it for impurities and now transfer it another pan and now add grated coconut and keep stirring till the mixture becomes thick. Now add criushed cardomom pods and ghee at this stage and mix well.

For making dumplings

Make small balls out of the dough.
With oil smeared on hands, make small cups with the dough and stuff the balls with the coconut mix carefully and seal it and form a ball.

Steam this in a idli maker or pressure cooker for about 10-15 minutes till it is done.

Serve it with tea.



No comments:

Post a Comment